Final Project Update – Blog #7

The time has come where this week, each group presented their websites to the class. I was unable to see the final product of Team Cobra’s work, but given what I have heard them accomplish in the past, I am sure it was beautiful. Seeing though the website of Regent park was a good illustration of how fluid website design and creation processes can be, given the difference in approach they used to layout their content. I liked the before and after images idea, and I also found that their essays were better presented and easier to follow than my groups website.

Overall though, I would say that I am quite happy with what my group and I have put together as out final project. Sure there are some blank parts of missing information, needed images, and some final touches that need to be added, but as a whole I would say our structure and content are there for a user to have a somewhat enriching experience. The only thing that I am disappointed with is the fact that we could not include an oral history component where the interviews could be listened to. I think that would have added a level  of information to the website that would truly elevate the information of Ukrainian-Canadians by providing that primary research component. Nevertheless I am still happy with everything else created, and looking forward to when we all get together and present our websites to the organizations and institutions we have all been working with for the past semester.

Cleanup: changing the favicon

The favicon is the tiny image that appears in your firefox or chrome tabs when you’re browsing on a site – it’s a little visual reminder of where you are, that helps you scroll through your tab.

Right now, your favicons are all the same – they’re the default favicon of the required+ theme. To change them, all you have to do is:

  • in Photoshop or whatever, create a tiny (16x16px or 32x32px) image that represents your site somehow (it could be a K for kensington, or maybe the MHSO has one already on its main site, etc.).
  • save it in .png format and name it favicon.png.
  • upload it to your child theme directory (required-starter).
  • ta-da! you’re done!

This is another little thing that would be worth tidying up before you hand the sites over.

Customizing the Footer

Hi everyone,

I think it would be nice if everyone could change the footer code in a way that still gives props to the upsteream developers, but also allows folks to take some credit for what you’ve done.

To do this, you will have to write a small amount of php and put it in your “functions.php” file.

the current footer is generated by this function:

add_action( 'required_credits', 'required_sample_credits' );

function required_sample_credits() {
        _e( '<p>This site runs on the <a href="http://themes.required.ch/" title="required+ Themes">required+ Foundation</a> Theme. Based on the awesome <a href="http://foundation.zurb.com/" title="Rapid prototyping and building library from ZURB.">Foundation</a> Framework by the humble folks at <a href="http://www.zurb.com/" title="Design for people">ZURB</a>.</p>', 'requiredfoundation' );
}

To change it to something else, you can try something like this:

function my_credits() {
        _e( '<p>This site was designed by [INSERT YOUR NAMES] as a final project in <a href="http://2012.hackinghistory.ca">Hacking History</a> at <a href="http://history.utoronto.ca">U of T</a>.  Special thanks to <a href="http://themes.required.ch/" title="required+ Themes">required+ </a> and  <a href="http://foundation.zurb.com/" title="Rapid prototyping and building library from ZURB.">ZURB</a>for the tools that made it possible!</p>', 'requiredfoundation' );
}


remove_action( 'required_credits', 'required_sample_credits' );
add_action( 'required_credits', 'my_credits' );

I haven’t checked the code, but this should work. To change the layout, so the footer isn’t quite so big and obtrusive, you’ll have to change footer.php itself by copying required-foundation/footer.php to required-starter/footer.php and making your changes there. The main thing would be to switch the “four columns” to “eight columns” (you’ll see it if you look).